NAWDO is the primary network for senior waste managers within local authorities with statutory responsibilities for Waste Disposal. With over 80 members NAWDO membership represents around 80% of all local authorities with waste disposal duties and includes London Boroughs, Joint Waste Disposal Authorities, Waste Partnerships, Metropolitan, Unitary and County Councils from all UK regions (with the exception of Scotland).
The organisation has excellent working relationships with DEFRA and leading industry bodies. It runs regular meetings, which provide members with first hand opportunities to hear from, speak to and ask questions of, key leaders and stakeholders within the waste management industry, regulators and central government.
Our priorities are:
- To maintain and further develop good working relations with key government officials in Defra; DCLG; BEIS and Treasury and with the LGA to influence policy and legislation at a formative stage and to lobby for change.
- To respond to relevant government consultations.
- To represent NAWDO on relevant working groups or at relevant meetings.
- Liaise with other Local Authority Officer representative bodies to further the interests of local government in the field of resource and waste management.
- To enable members to easily share knowledge and information amongst the membership.
- To provide regular meetings to allow for face-to-face information exchange between the membership and with key industry representatives and government officials.
NAWDO's Excecutive Committee:
Managing Director, West London Waste Authority
Strategic Manager - Waste & Resources, Hampshire County Council
Waste and Recycling Manager, City of Westminster
Membership Secretary and Treasurer
Policy & Advisory Committee members
- Shaun Askins Luton Borough Council
- Gurbaksh Badhan Buckinghamshire Council
- Wendy Barratt Devon County Council
- Tom Beagan West London Waste Authority
- Vicky Beechey Oxfordshire Waste Partnership
- Tim Walker ARC21
- Alexandra Foreman Central Bedfordshire Council
- Jon Hastings East London Waste Authority
- Jane Hughes Suffolk County Council
- Joel Hull Norfolk County Council
- Duncan Jones Hertfordshire Waste Partnership
- Matthew King Hertfordshire County Council
- Adam Smith Cambridgeshire County Council
- Ruth Robinson Derbyshire County Council
- Glynn Stevenson Merseyside Recycling & Waste Authority
- Nigel Shilton Leicestershire County Council
- Ken Lawson Bristol City Council
- Andrew Lappage East London Waste Authority
- Euston Ling North London Waste Authority
- Rachel Melvin Staffordshire County Council