A key position has arisen within Somerset Waste Partnership, ensuring we have the technical capacity to support the mobilisation of a new contractor and the effective planning of Recycle More. SWP are hugely ambitious for the future and we are looking for someone who wants the opportunity to develop and drive this project forward, so that SWP remains at the cutting edge nationally and to make a huge difference to residents and the environment in Somerset.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To supervise and manage the day to day performance of one of the largest waste collection contracts in the Country, including project managing the roll-out of a major service change to over 250,000 households (Recycle More).
- Uses client side and, where agreed, contractor staff expertise and agreed project management processes, develops project plans to lead projects and activities designed to ensure the effective delivery of Recycle More (RM).
- Works with the collections contractor, scrutinises plans and in accordance with agreed principles and programmes, takes the lead on transition management relating to the mobilisation of the new contractor and implementation of RM. Ensures that business as usual is maintained during the transition and the changes are effectively integrated into the business.
- Acts as the principal point of contact on all matters relating to the transition to RM for the collection contractor, elected members and officers of SWP partner authorities.
- Monitors the procurement and build of service assets, eg vehicles and plant, required for the transition to RM to ensure they meet plans and specifications. Inspects assets on delivery and compiles a photographic record and detailed asset register.
- Manages escalated customer issues relating to Recycle More (RM) that cannot be resolved by the SWP Customer Experience team, particularly but not exclusively requiring in depth technical knowledge of legislation, the collection contract, political awareness and/or sensitivity and potential reputational impacts to bring them to a satisfactory resolution that meets SWP service standards and maintains the reputation of the SWP.
- Provides progress reports to SWP’s Senior Management Team, Strategic Management Group and other groups, including Members, on the planning transitioning and delivery of RM.
- Engages with and influences third parties, partner authorities, community groups and businesses, to ensure the effective implementation and delivery of RM.
- Liaises with the Customer Experience and Communications and Engagement teams to ensure that roadshows, publicity, customer notification packs and service packs are arranged in accordance with the project plan and ensures that they have the information they need to respond promptly and effectively to service issues related to RM.
- Identifies and, in accordance with SWP project planning and approval principles, initiates and implements policies and projects that will contribute to continual improvement of RM.
- To maintain financial monitoring of contractual and RM costs through regular review of expenditure and income against appropriate budgets, tracking and reporting any forecast or actual variances to the Contracts Manager promptly and proposing corrective action or mitigation.
- Provides knowledge of legislative requirements, technical knowledge of waste and awareness of the aims and objectives of the SWP, and to negotiate if these are at odds with the views of contractors, statutory undertakers, regulatory and planning authorities and other interested parties to ensure the interests of SWP are represented and that opportunities are carried out in a legally compliant manner.
- Directs and manages contractor progress against contract standards and the performance and payment mechanism and recommend actions to the SWP Senior Management Team.
- Acts as the main point of contact for day to day Health & Safety contractual and operational issues. Manages the effective Health & Safety inspection and monitoring of contractual related waste treatment facilities waste including transfer facilities and waste collection depots.
- Monitors and analyses waste collection performance trends and recommends actions and initiatives to improve performance.
- Develop and maintain effective and influential relationships with partner councils, regulatory bodies/key agencies, contractors and community groups.
- Deputises for the Contract Manager (Collections) in their absence and give support from time to time to the Contract Manager - Treatment & Infrastructure
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for application details. Please quote the above reference number. For further information or an informal discussion, please call Colin Mercer, Collection Contract Manager on (01823) 625722. Please see our latest Business Plan (https://bit.ly/2T1NFiy) for more information about SWP.